When pundits tell students to follow their passion, they often gloss over a very important component of what passion truly means. True passion for work comes from mastery. And the only way to get really good at something is to work hard and focus.
So if you’re working towards a future in this field, it’s definitely smart to learn as much as possible from trained financial advisors who are already successful. With that goal in mind, let’s look at the five things excellent planners take very seriously:
1. Character: An advisor who’s committed to long-term success is always going to do what’s best for their clients instead of being influenced by things like a quick payday.
2. Collaboration: It’s easy to romanticize the idea of the lone wolf professional. But great advisors know that’s not the best way to work. That’s why they look for opportunities to collaborate and create a positive outcome for everyone involved.
3. Commitment: Successful advisors honor their commitments to others. They also make a conscious commitment to putting in the work that’s necessary to find lasting success in this field.
4. Consequences: Stellar financial advisors don’t blame anything that goes wrong on other people or the market. Instead, they think through scenarios with the realization that they’re responsible in the event something goes wrong.
5. Control: Successful financial advisors who do well understand that they’re in control of things like their daily activities, and not in control of other elements like their clients’ attitudes.
How Can Future Financial Advisors Get This Type of Experience?
After passion and mastery, the most important requirement for a financial planner is getting the right kind of experience. One of the biggest challenges for upcoming financial advisors is gaining experience from exposure to the situations professional advisors deal with on a daily basis. Although it’s obviously important to pass the CFP®Certification Exam, this exam isn’t simply about regurgitating knowledge. Instead, students who want to put themselves in the best position for future success should use this exam as an opportunity to develop the critical thinking skills of an advisor.
With Keir’s THINK LIKE A PLANNERSM study program, students preparing for the CFP® Certification Exam will learn the thought process needed to ace the exam and thrive in the world of certified financial planners. Keir’s THINK LIKE A PLANNERSM Method goes beyond simply comprehension and incorporates analysis, synthesis, and evaluation of information. For any student who wants highly relevant experience for what a future job will demand, our proven method of study is the way to go.